Yes, the images are really free because only public domain or Creative Commons licensed photos that are allowed for commercial use are added on this site. If you use any of the images here, please make sure to give proper credits to the authors.
Public domain works are those whose intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited, or are inapplicable, therefore, are not restricted by copyright and do not require a license or fee to use.
Creative Commons licenses are a popular set of free and voluntary copyright licenses. The most basic important condition is that you must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor. For more detailed info, please visit CreativeCommons.org website’s About The Licenses and FAQ page.
The Creative Commons Licenses
StockPhotos.io does not accept photos under the last 3 Creative Commons Licenses above due to the Noncommercial condition.
Photo Download & Upload
How can I download an image (or high resolution version of it) and find out author’s info/link for proper attribution?
You have to visit the source URL to get them. Here are the steps:
- Click the thumbnail image.
- After the Lightbox window pops up, click the image or the link to redirect to the source site.
- From the source website, you can usually find the links to download different high resolution images.
You can find author’s profile page URL from the source website. Please always double check the licensing of each photo to see if it fits your needs to avoid legal issues.
We recommend using the “pinning” feature to add the photo from another website. First, you have to join the site in order to use this feature. Here are the steps:
- After logging in to the site, you will see the “Add” and “YourUserName” menu from the top. Click Add > Pin
- Make sure your browser’s bookmark bar is visible. Drag the Bookmarklet and drop it on browser’s bookmark bar.
- Visit any site that contains an image you want to add, then click the Bookmarklet.
- Click to select your image.
- Enter the title and select/add a category for the image.
- Finally click the “Pin It” button and click “Close” to close the window and you are done. All images submitted to the site have to go though the approval process based on the Image Acceptance Criteria. This can take from 1 – 12 hours average time. Please note that We will NOT notify you of whether your image has been accepted or rejected.
You can not upload images from your PC. This feature is disabled on purpose, but it’s possible we might add it in the future.
To make sure the image quality posted here is top notch, we will use the following criteria:
- Photos must be of professional artistic quality.
- Photos must be free for commercial use.
- Photos may not contain watermarks, signatures or copyright notices (some exceptions may apply).
- Source URL should provide high resolution photo download no smaller than 1000 pixel height or width (some exceptions may apply).
- Source URL must lead to original author’s website, profile page, or bio information for attribution.
- No images of unknown source.
- No nude children and pornographic photos (nude art is okay).
- No images that are offensive, inflammatory, derogatory, and racist.
Please refer to the following links for more info and ideas: